Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 23 August, 2019
FOUNDATION PHASE (FP) LEAD COACH
in the following subjects: Mathematics; English First Additional Language; Home Languages (Sepedi, Setswana, IsiXhosa)
Anglo American South Africa and Platinum SA in partnership with the Department of Basic Education have launched the Anglo American South African Education Programme, a core part of Anglo American’s Sustainable Mining Plan. Additionally, Anglo American South Africa and Platinum SA are collaborating with SIOC-cdt in the Thabazimbi and Dwaalboom areas. The goal of the Programme is to improve the educational outcomes of learners in communities local to Anglo American Platinum Mogalakwena complex in Mapela, and Anglo American Platinum Amandelbult complex and SIOC-cdt beneficiary communities in Thabazimbi and Dwaalboom in Limpopo.
Molteno Institute for Language and Literacy in partnership with the Catholic Institute for Education seeks to appoint a Foundation Phase Lead Coach who resides in Mapela/Mokopane and or Thabazimbi/ Dwaalboom.
Responsibilities will include the following.
- Work constructively with district officials and other stakeholders (Including school principals and teachers)
- The candidate will be responsible for the implementation of the AASA project in the schools provided by the project.
- Support and monitor the activities of the five coaches on an ongoing basis.
- Conduct one support and mentoring visit with each Coach once per term according to a schedule developed collaboratively.
- Assist the coaches to establish protocols for distance teacher support.
- Attend master trainer sessions, often during school holidays.
- Facilitate training workshops for coaches and teachers, sometimes during school holidays.
- Hold regular reflection meetings with coaches.
- Analyse data from the data base.
- Provide monthly and / or quarterly reports to the Programme Managers and funders as and when required.
- Attend project reference group meetings.
- Attend project management meetings both internally and with the project promoters.
- Attend project steering committee meetings.
- Get to know members of the school community and be open to discussions with them (this includes District Officials).
- Consult with the Programme Managers on strategic issues.
- Determine training needs for coaches in schools.
- Address these training needs where possible; or alternatively
- Consult with, and report to, the Project Manager.
- Determine training needs for coaches and teachers.
- Address challenges associated with the project materials with the Project Manager
- Teaching or relevant degree diploma specializing in Foundation Phase (degree preferable)
- Experience in Foundation Phase teaching
- Fluency in one or more of these languages: Sepedi, Setswana and IsiXhosa
- Previous coaching experience, an advantage
- Knowledge of the FP Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS)
- Skills required: management, leadership, administration, risk management, interpersonal, data management, coordination, problem solving, ability to use MS Word and Excel, verbal and written communication
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines in a complex environment
- Experience in projects such as GPLMS, NECT, EGRS, RSP would be an advantage
- Own transport and valid unendorsed Code 8 driver’s license for extensive travel
- Police clearance certificate
- SACE registration
Preference will be given to local candidates. Interested candidates should forward a motivational letter, proof of residence in the area, certified copies of their qualifications and CV to email@example.com. Closing date: 23 August 2019. Please note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews. If you have not been contacted within a month after the closing date of this advertisement, consider your application as unsuccessful. Late applications will not be considered.